Solitude

 By Bruce Shawkey


Interesting article on the Google news feed about solitude, as originally reported in Psychology Today. Article is subtitled "Why do some people fear solitude while others embrace it?" Articles distinguishes between solitude and loneliness. I read it, and thought of my friend, Brian Larson. He could not stand loneliness. He had to have the radio on all the time because he couldn't stand the silence. 

Here is an excerpt from the article:

Some people are reluctant to spend time alone. Solitude makes them anxious and restless, and so they try to ensure that they’re always in the company of others. But other people have a completely different attitude toward solitude. Even if they enjoy the time they spend with others, they savor their moments of solitude. They find solitude therapeutic and essential to their well-being, a time to rest and reconnect themselves.

Amen. As much as I enjoy connecting with others (for example, my weekly time with the Roosters) I savor my time alone to be with my thoughts. I enjoy the solitary activities of writing my daily journal and creating blog entries such as this. I don't need the TV or radio blaring on about the latest crisis in the Middle East or some inane comedy repeat from the '70s.

Some of my best vacations are those I have taken alone, from overnight trips to Dubuque or LaCrosse, to major trips to Switzerland. Even on cruises with sister-in-law Julie, we often part ways during the day to explore on our own. Our traveling together is more a function of necessity (per Royal Caribbean's pricing based on double occupancy) than a need to be together. When we reconnect at the end of the day over dinner, we have stories to tell of our day's adventures.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latest Trip to Costco

John "Ben" Bolerud, Mayor of Mineral Point

Raymond "Skip" Henderson