Starting the Day Out Right

 By Bruce Shawkey

Found this interesting article on the Google news feed. I do many of these, and have a few things of my own to add.

1. Wake up!

Obviously, but maybe not so obvious.

Some people love sleeping in, but it isn’t good practice.  Studies have found that people who wake up earlier are less likely to experience depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders. 

2. Avoid hitting the snooze button

Doesn't really apply to me because I haven't slept with an alarm clock in years.

3. Drink some water

Amen. I wake up thirsty. One of the first things I I grab when I wake up is a bottle of cold water. Studies show that your body naturally uses up its water overnight, leaving you dehydrated in the morning. Dehydration leads to all kinds of problems, research finds. But most importantly, it affects your energy levels in the AM.

4.  Get fresh air. 

This is something I don't do, but should. Sleeping with the window cracked or open makes you happier, it's a proven fact. What's the secret? Serotonin. So breathing in fresh air in the morning can increase the oxygen in your blood, release serotonin, and (most importantly) boost your overall mood. Part of the reason I don't do this is that I live on a busy street and next to an apartment that has noisy tenants, loud cars, etc.

5. Soak up the sunlight (if it’s up)

We all know the healing powers of vitamin D, right? Sunlight directly hitting our skin when we’re outdoors creates vitamin D in our bodies. And, as you likely know, vitamin D regulates our mood and decreases the risk of depression. All good things. 

6. Move your body (even just a little)

I wish I had more energy to do this. I'm hoping my upcoming heart cath procedure will help with the chronic fatigue I am experiencing. 

7. Make your bed

This is great old piece of advice. I heard this on Tim Ferris' podcast when he interviewed General Stanley McChrystal. Making your bed in the morning gives you an immediate sense of accomplishment first thing. The theory is that this small success encourages others throughout the day.

8. Have a cold shower.

Sorry, I'm not up for this one!

9. Think positive thoughts

Yes. Many wake up thinking, “I don’t want to do this today” or “Today isn’t going to be good.” Not me. I assume it's going to be a good day, even if all I do is play computer games. I've had a stroke and open heart surgery, and I feel lucky to be alive. Every day above ground is a good day.

Now all that said, I have a couple thoughts of my own to add.

10. Have a good breakfast.

It's the most important meal of the day. It's fuel for the body and mind.

11. Have a pet cat (or dog).

Since living on my own, I've found it invaluable to have a cat in the house ... something to care for, a creature who is dependent on you for food, water, and lovin'. You'll get paid in return many times over. After I've had breakfast, I spend a good half hour with my cat, Mabel. She has added so much to my life and asks nothing in return, save for a little food, water, a clean litter box, and some chin scratches.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Latest Trip to Costco

John "Ben" Bolerud, Mayor of Mineral Point

Raymond "Skip" Henderson